Saturday, November 19, 2011

Other sites to visit!

We had our first dusting of snow yesterday morning and it was a shock to open the blinds to see all the white. Of course it was gone by lunch time as the temperature climbed and the sun rose. But it was a reminder of what is to come and that it is time to get ready - check out the windshield wiper fluid in the car and get the snow tires on the vehicles. One of these days we will have to deal with real snow but hopefully not for at least another month.

My friend Lisa Hawkes from New England has this wonderful web site, Pink Hollybush Designs. She began her business just over a year ago and it has been so exciting to watch her business grow. Lisa shops for her fabrics in New York City and takes care to only choose the finest quality goods. I just love her Mother-of-Pearl buttons as it is so hard to find them where I live. There is ivory Irish handkerchief linen and sumptuous silky pink silk dupioni - fabrics that are hard to find in Canada at this quality and price! You will find all sorts of interesting things when you visit Lisa's site.

Nancy Zieman is world famous for her TV program and mail order business which began back in 1979. But there is also a store, a retail location, Nancy's Notions, in Beaver Dam, WI where you can actually go and shop for all the things Nancy has made famous. They also hold classes!!

Last year before I started this blog I had a call from the store asking if they could order some of my Snowdrift patterns for a class. I was in shock to say the least to think that such a famous store wanted my patterns for a class. Well, once again I've had a call for more patterns as they had such great success last year, they are running the class again. 

Now it isn't being held until January 16 of next year but we should all be planning ahead, right?  So if you live within distance of Beaver Dam, WI, why not treat yourself to a class at this famous store?

Last summer I met a lovely lady in the manicure shop where we went to have out nails done for my daughter's wedding. While we were sitting under the nail dryer we got to talking, naturally. She told me about a group that she is involved with called Get Well Gang. These ladies knit or crochet hats for men, women and children undergoing cancer treatment. I've looked at their patterns, and having gone through chemo therapy, I can tell you the styling looks comfortable and stylish. If you have a desire to make a donation to this group or to make one of their hats for a friend who might be going through chemo therapy, believe me, there is a need. From my experience just keep in mind when choosing your yarn, it needs to be very soft to the touch and preferably hand washable. This is just one of their cloche hat patterns. You will make someone who is fighting this horrid disease so much more comfortable.

I hope you have found these web sites interesting and helpful.
So until next time, keep stitching.....


No comments:

Post a Comment